Thursday, April 26, 2012

Directionless

Seeing all the awesome armies arrayed at Adepticon has got me inspired to start on a new project.  I've spend over a year working on my Tau, and now that I'm don't it feels weird to not have anything to work on.

I could start working on a Flames of War army.  While I like the rules system, I'm just not inspired to paint a dull olive drab army that looks just like every one else's.  I could start on Dust Warfare, but that has the same problem as FoW.  Green allies, Grey Germans, boring boring boring.  If only battlefront would release a 15 mm sci-fi version of FoW with space elves.

I'd like to re-visit my Eldar, but I'm hating my paint scheme and quality on them.  I want to scrap most of it and start from scratch.  The army will still suck, so I'm inclined to not give my Eldar any love until GW gives them some first.

I could start another army.  Dark Eldar and Necrons both interest me in terms of their aesthetic.   I defiantly don't want to do anything in power armor.

I'm worried about 6th edition and don't want to jump into a project with GW primed to throw-up all over themselves in a few months.

7 comments:

  1. You did so well with your eldar Greg. I think you should look at using them. They are a counter to grey knights and can play with most armies. I have been most worried about these guys lately. And the grey knight craze hasn't even reached the zenith yet!!! Trust me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a glass cannon. I could add some storm guardians or jet bikes but with those units you end up spending $90 bucks to add 150 points to your list.

      Delete
  2. I think you should play more foot units. Not completely footdar, but they do have the capability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to go all foot or no foot. Footdar needs numbers and Wraithlord/gaurd bricks which you can't afford if you are also using Wave Serpents. Also if you do a hybrid, everything that can't hurt armor 12 gets shot into the poor t3 5+ sobs just standing around. A unit of Harlequins might work, but I'd rather have 5 more Fire Dragons in a Serpent.

      What I need to add is two squads of 10 storm guardians in serpents and maybe 2 squads of 3 bikes.

      Delete
    2. I agree with GeekProtem's opinion that Footdar just don't work very well over about 1250-1500 points.

      I would wait though, to see what 6th brings. They may see a comeback.

      You could always do a 'Captain America' American army for FoW. :)

      Delete
    3. Footdar did as well as it did at Adepticon because of the format. I know because I was beat by one. They had low KP's where 1/3 of the victory condition was KP, so all they really needed to do was tie the other two. Both high performing Footdar players had small fast bike and jump units for the late game contests. The only mission objective that remotely worked out against them was the one where you had to get into your opponents deployment zone.

      Not that the players weren't good players. They were exceptional players that knew how to get the best out of the format and their armies. I'm just saying that the format gave them the edge to stay competitive against other players using better armies like wolves, GK, and Guard.

      Delete
    4. @SandWyrn

      So all Olive Drab except one guy on my 1ic base in blue.

      Delete