Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Army of Two



Ever since my recent game with Sandwyrm, I've been thinking of ways to improve my neglected Ultramarines army. It's led me to put together a new 1500 point list for the Hivefleet Indy tournament this weekend. So the new list looks like this:

Captain w/combi-melta and relic blade
Captain w/combi-melta and relic blade
9 Man Sterngaurd squad w/ 2x combi-melta and rhino
Dreadnought w/2x twin -linked autocannons
Dreadnought w/2x twin -linked autocannons
10 Man Tactical Squad w/meltagun, missile launcher, and rhino
5 Man TacticalSquad w/combi-melta and las-plas razorback
5 Man TacticalSquad w/combi-melta and las-plas razorback
LandSpeeder w/heavy flamer and multi-melta
LandSpeeder w/heavy flamer and multi-melta

My usual combo of Shrike+TH/SS Termies is a bit too expensive for 1500. My other usual choice of HQ, a Librarian, hasn't been working out too effectively for me. His abilities are nice, but he can't save his squad in HtH combat, and his powers are not useful if every match up. So I decided to go with two captains that can beat face 100 percent of the time, versus a librarian that can give me a tactical advantage 50 percent of the time.

I tried it out last Saturday against Dodger3's demons. The Sterngaurd did well, they sacrificed themselves to take down Fateweaver with poisoned bolter fire. The captains performed even better. They took down 7 Bloodcrushers in melee combat with a little supporting fire to soften them up first. I ended up loosing the game to a couple of bad rolls at the end. It didn't help that I wasted my dreadnoughts and speeders by getting them too close.

I think it's a solid list. I'm debating whether to cut a few guys from the Sterngaurd squad to afford a few more upgrades. Namely, more combi-meltas for the Sterngaurd, and a power fist for the 10 man tactical squad sergeant. I do like being able to fire 18 shots of special issue bolter ammo though.

No comments:

Post a Comment