Monday, March 28, 2011

Semper fidelis tyrannosaurus

Killinger: The phrase is, 'Sic semper tyrannis'; you just said, 'Always faithful terrible lizard.'
21: I did? Cool.

This is a Space Marine post; sorry, no dinosaurs.

Spaguatyrine kicked my Marine army's ass in the second round of the Saltare tournament last Saturday.  Some of it was army list; some of it was failing three pin tests in a row and my entire second turn consisting of me firing one las cannon.  I was running a variant of my double captain army with one of the captains swapped for a librarian.  Spag runs a dynamic Wolf army, and my marines aren't built to handle the one, two, three punch of longfangs, thunderwolves, and wolf scouts.  Spag and I talked over things I could do to make the army better.  He pointed out that I don't have any big melee threats in my army.  It's hard to put a good melee threat into vanilla marines without going TH/SS termies, and that can really change up the composition of my army.

I'm going to dump the Sternguard out of the list.  I loved them, then I hated them, then I loved them again, and now I'm back to hate.  They can be very good and deal with lots of threats, but one squad can't be everywhere at once.  They are also very vulnerable to counterattacks.  They can jump out an kill something really nasty, and then die to whatever is left over.  If that nasty thing is Fateweaver or the Nightbringer it's a good trade; anything else, not so much.

I'm also going to drop the Las-Plas Razors.  This is a suggestion Spag made due to their high point cost.  Thinking about it more; their ratio of threat to survivability is too high.  Essentially a very scary weapon load out on a very flimsy tank.  The two I have are fire magnets, and that's a bad thing for what's holding 50% of my scoring troops.

The polish is wearing of the combi-melta relic blade Captain as well.  He's a good cheap utility HQ, but he can't fight hordes on his own with only his 3+ armor save.  He needs to pick up artificer armor to do that, but I don't think the expense makes him cost effective anymore.  Plus the models are getting converted back to Honor Guard for my counts-as Grey Knights army.

I'm going to keep the tac squad composition the same.  One ten man and two five man squads works well for 1500 points.  I'm going to put the two five man units in basic heavy bolter razorbacks.   It takes aways some high ST-low AP firepower from the list, but will hopefully put them lower on other players' target priority lists.

I love my Rifleman dreads.  They provide a very consistent long-range punch to the army, but they die as soon as anything gets close.  Spag thinks I should only run one of the arms as TL autocannons, and keep the other as a  DCCW.  That would really cut into the ranged firepower of my list.  I then thought about running 2 Ironclad dreads to support the two Rifleman.  Ironclads are something out of the codex that I never got around to trying out.  I though about it a little more and came back around to Spag's suggestion.  His way was cheaper, allowing me to spend more points elsewhere.
So I've ended up with two possible 1500pt lists:

List 1:
Master of the Forge w/ Conversion Beamer
Dreadnought w/ 2x TL Autocannon
Dreadnought w/ 2x TL Autocannon
Ironclad Dreadnought w/ 2x hunter killer missles,
Ironclad Dreadnought w/ 2x hunter killer missles,
10x Tactical Marines w/ Powerfist, meltagun, multi-melta, Rhino
5x Tactical Marines w/ combi-melta Razorback 
5x Tactical Marines w/ combi-melta Razorback 
Land Speeder w/ multi-melta, heavy-flamer
Land Speeder w/ multi-melta, heavy-flamer
5x Devastators w/ 4x missie launchers

MoF hangs out with the devi's in some 3+ cover ruins.  There's a few points left over on this one.

List 2:
Master of the Forge w/ Conversion Beamer
Dreadnought w/ TL Autocannon 
Dreadnought w/ TL Autocannon 
Dreadnought w/ TL Autocannon 
Dreadnought w/ TL Autocannon 
Dreadnought w/ TL Autocannon 
10x Tactical Marines w/ Powerfist, meltagun, multi-melta, Rhino
5x Tactical Marines w/ combi-melta Razorback 
5x Tactical Marines w/ combi-melta Razorback 
Land Speeder w/ multi-melta, heavy-flamer
Land Speeder w/ multi-melta, heavy-flamer
5x Devastators w/ 4x missie launchers

1500 points on the dot.

All those DCCW pose a significant close in threat.  Dreadnoughts are not very good against MC's in close combat, but all that downrange S7 and S8 should help kill those before they get to assault range.  My thoughts for going to 2000 pts involves adding a Land Raider with another embarked Tactical squad.  With a generic squad inside, the land raider should blend into all those dreadnoughts for target priority.  Plus more shots at the land raider means fewer shots at the more destructible dreadnoughts.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment